Skip to main content

Gameheads After school Program

We started our first after school session of Gameheads game design program at Richmond College Prep. We have an amazing day by day curriculum I will be following. The kids are 6th and 7th grade and should be able to concentrate on the projects although so far they are very excited.

Many of them have very detailed opinions about the games they play. Same with the kids I tutored last year at Lindamood-Bell. Listening to a sixth grader review Undertale or Life is Strange is upworthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working for Startups... Supposedly for a Good Cause

I'm caught between two opposing forces. I'm working for a start up company that seems to have brought me back to my blog again. If you're curious this post won't be made public until I leave this place. It seemed to come at the perfect time. I joined a startup company that aims to create a social media network for diverse candidates in all fields. I went out of my way (at least I was paid) to comb through my contacts and get them excited about this platform. I've been here a few weeks, and thought the CEO is a bit "agro," (I figure that is just the way one gets things done. I've been a bit aggressive while driving a product, from the ground up) generally everyone at the company seems very nice and talented. I'm very proud of my team and I realize even more that diversity and inclusion is a prominent field where I can shine. Slowly, starting last week, I begin to dig through old posts. The website used to be a social group kind of thing, that wa...

Vetting or Gatekeeping?

Bay Area Womxn in Games constantly works to include transwomen and has a spectacular board of advisors from a variety of backgrounds. We are open to new leadership. Here's one example of how we have striven to include speakers of all backgrounds, despite the closed-minded tendency of sponsors and other organizations. I'm responsible for the first 2 years of the Bay Area Womxn in Games conference. When we partnered up with Women in Games International (WIGI) we were thrilled to finally meet our goal after 2 years of independent organizing. We were going to meet the organization that started it all, who inspired us to create a local organization in the first place, and they invited us to their board meeting. However, as we attended a few meetings, the conversations became more and more depressing. The people who were elected to be leaders did not know how to lead. After all, you have a team of unpaid volunteers. Let them be motivated to contribute the way that their natural s...