Skip to main content

How to Tell When You're Working For Free

Let's face it. When you're looking for work in the industry of your dreams, it's really easy to think wishfully. No one wants to suspect that so many start-up companies are here to rip you off.

Sometimes you don't plan on working for free, but you end up working for free. 

How does that happen? Start-ups are notorious for looking for young people who have no problem working for free. If you don't have rent to pay and just love to code, you may be completely fine working for free. And start-ups know that.

They wishfully think that this type of person is you. 

They may also ignore and avoid your subtle attempts to discuss money and negotiate contracts with you as well. You may feel rude asking about money, and you may trust that they're going to do what's right and pay you. This kind of trust is tragically dangerous.

So let's look at some warning signs at when a company expects you to work for free, and are so eager to get the app built, that they plan to put your protests against them not paying you on their backburner. The far, far-back burner.

1. They don't reply to emails or texts asking about money.  
They're usually very talkative and responsive, but when you email them about compensation or ask how much you're going to be paid, they don't reply back.
This has happened to me, personally, countless times. Sometimes there is a contract in place, and sometimes not. But the contract does not usually have a due date about when the payment is owed. I never sign a contract without a payment due date, to this day.

2. They don't use full and complete sentences when quoting how much they will pay you. 
"How about 40?" Forty what? Cents? Dollars? Thousand dollars? A month? A year? You can assume that they meant 40k a year, but they're definitely avoiding letting you quote them, so they're saying it in a very obscure way.
A boss of mine said, "how about 40" in a very uncertain way, when talking about how much I would be paid. He then refused to sign a contract with a due date on it, expected me to work 10 hours a day and failed to pay other people in the office, including a two engineers, electrical contractors, the alarm system installation company and the plumber. They came into the office asking me where the CEO was, because he hadn't paid them. The alarm system company had my number and called my cell phone asking why the bill wasn't paid. I had no access to the company bank accounts.
He paid me on time because I threatened to leave unless he wrote in a due date for my payments into the contract.

3. They change the subject back to what it is that you need to do for them. 
Instead of talking about compensating you, they're always talking about the work you need to do for them. Avoiding the conversation in general is a red flag, and it becomes clear that they are more about building the Great Pyramids in 3 weeks with no respect for you, and those working to build the product. Should you be offended? Very.
Distracting you by changing the subject is a common way to avoid being held accountable to pay you for your work. If they can just keep you distracted and forgetting (or being too intimidated) to ask about payment, keep you focused on the work, they can get you to finish the work and then deal with your protests later. If you ask for payment after you're done with the work, and there's no contract covering you, good luck trying to get paid at that point. They're not too worried about you trying to sue them because you have no documentation or evidence that they were "supposed to pay you."

4. Gaslighting you when you ask for money. 
"Are you okay?" is a great way to intensify any feelings of awkwardness you already have about asking for payment. You may stop yourself before asking about payment, wondering if you're being too pushy. They can play upon this guilt and fear we have of being impolite. If you weren't worried about that, you would have made sure there was a contract that said how much and when you're getting paid, from the start. So asking, "are you upset about something?" in an innocent way is a tactic I've seen employed by CEO's, to make you seem irrational for being concerned about whether or not you're being paid. Turns out in the end, this CEO isn't paying half of the people he has working on his product. So you have every reason to be concerned, and this innocent-sounding manipulation is a tactic.

5. They ask you your age and try to explain the industry to you
Remember how I said that some people don't have to pay rent? And how CEO's hope that you live with your parents and you "don't even need money?" They also hope that you're too young and naive to bother making them pay you. They like free labor. They may have hired you because they're hoping you're fine with being paid next to nothing. But even if you are young, you still need to start standing up for yourself and negotiating pay or soon, you'll be 30 and you still will have difficulty negotiating contracts.

These are some of the ways that start-up companies prey on people who want to be in the industry, who want to be polite, who don't know how to negotiate a contract, and who figure that they can just sue anybody. You might notice something doesn't feel quite right in a conversation and you should listen to yourself and your sense of concern. These people skills are just as important as the skills you bring to the industry, if you want to self-sustain as a contractor / freelancer or small business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Prove Our Value?

They say, "know your value" but what does that mean? Hopefully it doesn't mean comparing myself to a mule and selling myself?! Of course not. But how do you quantify your value? How do you know what kind of impact your work has made? I'm going to break down the following brilliant and on-point article into simpler, more approachable steps-- or habits or thought processes rather than steps. It's an excellent article, but there's a problem with it. It uses experienced corporate language to explain simple things, and this makes it unapproachable for recent grads, and those inexperienced with business and the corporate world. So-- let's begin de-coding. Research Your Market Value My value? Ew. I don't give anyone else the right to determine my value. This article is encouraging me to determine it for myself. I have to know how much money I want to make or someone is going to low-ball me. How do I know? People want to keep money in their own pockets

Some Things Never Change

Over the years, I've grown a lot. I've been shell shocked by my first tech job, by my first game job, by finding myself in new places with new faces and even by being well known over the internet. And there's something to be said for knowing who you are, what you shine at and how to make money off of it. I find myself in new environments, but whatever I do, my process and my actions have to feel like me. I feel more brave about being myself than ever before. I'm not going to think to myself, "oh people don't want this talent. I'll try to be something else." It's a fine line. You market yourself a certain way, but you never quite act in a way that isn't part of your character. You can never be someone you're not. And that's good, because more importantly, you have to step into work where you feel like yourself, you can be yourself, and that work is going to be the most beautiful. It gets complex knowing what you do and what you do

Impostor Syndrome and the Order of the Snobs

For anyone out there who can relate, I think it needs to be said that it can be very intimidating when a friend, contact or colleague criticizes your choices. It can be difficult enough to make it in a professional industry. Culture shock, impostor syndrome, denying others of their qualifications are all social issues that serve to stand in the way of a young professional and their success. I'm sorry to say that it's almost like elitism at times-- the subtle (or less subtle) ways of the pecking order. We deal with these issues in competitive settings. We have past work that is under our belt called into question, and we have to work to regain that sense of legitimacy. I'm proud to say that I swim in these perilous waters and remain triumphant... and very strong! It was great to get out of my comfort zone after school, and then plunge into my professional degree, with a thick skin. But, since I have dealt with it for years, I feel almost like it'