Skip to main content

Vetting or Gatekeeping?

Bay Area Womxn in Games constantly works to include transwomen and has a spectacular board of advisors from a variety of backgrounds. We are open to new leadership. Here's one example of how we have striven to include speakers of all backgrounds, despite the closed-minded tendency of sponsors and other organizations.

I'm responsible for the first 2 years of the Bay Area Womxn in Games conference. When we partnered up with Women in Games International (WIGI) we were thrilled to finally meet our goal after 2 years of independent organizing. We were going to meet the organization that started it all, who inspired us to create a local organization in the first place, and they invited us to their board meeting.

However, as we attended a few meetings, the conversations became more and more depressing. The people who were elected to be leaders did not know how to lead. After all, you have a team of unpaid volunteers. Let them be motivated to contribute the way that their natural skill sets see fit. LISTEN to their wisdom and experience. You can't force people to do anything without compensating them.

When the appointed leader realized that she couldn't lead us, she quit. We never heard from her again.

There was only one woman left from San Francisco who represented WIGI. With a partnership between the two orgs, we set about planning the GDC related events, the conference and the mixer following at One Dome. The representative of WIGI wanted to organize a panel for the event on how to start a woman's organization within your game company. BAWGames recommended a transwoman speaker who had spoke at our event the previous year to join this panel. Now, I understand not wanting someone to pressure you to make up your mind. But the WIGI representative was not exactly open to referrals. She provided this graceful little spiel about how great diversity is but that she also "needed to vet them properly." I didn't want her to have to waste any time, so I provided the important details on this panel candidate:


  1. She has been in the AAA game industry for 4 years (go check her LinkedIn). 
  2. She has been a community manager in the game industry for 4 years. 
  3. She has formed a women's group within her game company. 
  4. She is an excellent speaker.


I held no grudge, nor did I protest at all when the WIGI rep still declined to add this speaker to her panel. However, let's get one thing straight: she wanted her best friends and colleagues to be on her panel and no one else.

And this is not an isolated incident. People in high places want to be surrounded by their very own best friends, but the downside is that this makes them very closed-off to new and valuable people. In other words, this way of thinking makes them a terrible snob.

And furthermore- do not call this "vetting." This speaker is a veteran, (as much as the decision-maker claimed to be) and a great fit for the panel.  So to call being closed off to adding a new person to the panel "vetting" would be inaccurate. They were qualified on multiple accounts, an excellent speaker, and a community expert. What was infuriating was that the WIGI representative had no cause to decline adding her. But she kept her panel small when she couldn't find anyone to fill the last seat.

I call it "gatekeeping."

To misconstrue and misrepresent "proper vetting" is a terrible shame. If you're completely closed off to a person that you don't know who is clearly qualified, you're not properly vetting them at all. You're misusing your privilege.

We couldn't argue too much with our partners right before the event. It's stressful enough to organize an event, let alone with drama, and we made sure to include transpeople and non-binary panelists in seats we had control over.

This incident motivated us to create a new leadership structure for BAWGames. Our board of advisors contains 8-10 representatives who will help identify and schedule a wide range of speakers and panelists. Our third year is approaching fast and I can't wait to see the outcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Prove Our Value?

They say, "know your value" but what does that mean? Hopefully it doesn't mean comparing myself to a mule and selling myself?! Of course not. But how do you quantify your value? How do you know what kind of impact your work has made? I'm going to break down the following brilliant and on-point article into simpler, more approachable steps-- or habits or thought processes rather than steps. It's an excellent article, but there's a problem with it. It uses experienced corporate language to explain simple things, and this makes it unapproachable for recent grads, and those inexperienced with business and the corporate world. So-- let's begin de-coding. Research Your Market Value My value? Ew. I don't give anyone else the right to determine my value. This article is encouraging me to determine it for myself. I have to know how much money I want to make or someone is going to low-ball me. How do I know? People want to keep money in their own pockets

Some Things Never Change

Over the years, I've grown a lot. I've been shell shocked by my first tech job, by my first game job, by finding myself in new places with new faces and even by being well known over the internet. And there's something to be said for knowing who you are, what you shine at and how to make money off of it. I find myself in new environments, but whatever I do, my process and my actions have to feel like me. I feel more brave about being myself than ever before. I'm not going to think to myself, "oh people don't want this talent. I'll try to be something else." It's a fine line. You market yourself a certain way, but you never quite act in a way that isn't part of your character. You can never be someone you're not. And that's good, because more importantly, you have to step into work where you feel like yourself, you can be yourself, and that work is going to be the most beautiful. It gets complex knowing what you do and what you do

Impostor Syndrome and the Order of the Snobs

For anyone out there who can relate, I think it needs to be said that it can be very intimidating when a friend, contact or colleague criticizes your choices. It can be difficult enough to make it in a professional industry. Culture shock, impostor syndrome, denying others of their qualifications are all social issues that serve to stand in the way of a young professional and their success. I'm sorry to say that it's almost like elitism at times-- the subtle (or less subtle) ways of the pecking order. We deal with these issues in competitive settings. We have past work that is under our belt called into question, and we have to work to regain that sense of legitimacy. I'm proud to say that I swim in these perilous waters and remain triumphant... and very strong! It was great to get out of my comfort zone after school, and then plunge into my professional degree, with a thick skin. But, since I have dealt with it for years, I feel almost like it'