Skip to main content

Diversity Lip Service

Twice in the last six months, I came across start-up companies that tout diversity as a PR tactic, but avoided paying me like the plague. So, actions speak louder than words. What if a company says they're about diversity, but they lowball their female employees, and try to fabricate a fake company team, using the images of women that they don't pay? This is what happened with Robobev / Infinifill at the start of this year. Or, like Radd3, break their promises to students and say off-record that they don't want to hire any more women, because "what it comes down to is that men have been working with hardware their whole lives." The owner at Radd3 had said he was all about diversity when I first came to the company, and that he wanted to "show the world that women and minorities can also use and work in technology."

Below is an actual slide that was used to promote a team to potential applicants and investors... I designed it myself. Then, the other female sw engineer related to me that she did not actually work there anymore. She and I complained about using our photos on the slide deck, when they had never sent us a paycheck or an employment agreement. They belatedly removed our images, and replaced them with stock photos of women... bizarre!

Can you spot the stock photos in the image?

We can't take people as honest at face value. There's nothing wrong with trying to get ahead, unless of course you're doing things ruthlessly and disrespectfully... and not even thinking about how your actions are illegal. 

There's been a lot of whining lately by rich men about having to use basic respect and decency in their business. Trump's America. But give these folks an inch, and they'll take a mile. More discussion and awareness needs to be raised about these seedy practices. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Prove Our Value?

They say, "know your value" but what does that mean? Hopefully it doesn't mean comparing myself to a mule and selling myself?! Of course not. But how do you quantify your value? How do you know what kind of impact your work has made? I'm going to break down the following brilliant and on-point article into simpler, more approachable steps-- or habits or thought processes rather than steps. It's an excellent article, but there's a problem with it. It uses experienced corporate language to explain simple things, and this makes it unapproachable for recent grads, and those inexperienced with business and the corporate world. So-- let's begin de-coding. Research Your Market Value My value? Ew. I don't give anyone else the right to determine my value. This article is encouraging me to determine it for myself. I have to know how much money I want to make or someone is going to low-ball me. How do I know? People want to keep money in their own pockets

Some Things Never Change

Over the years, I've grown a lot. I've been shell shocked by my first tech job, by my first game job, by finding myself in new places with new faces and even by being well known over the internet. And there's something to be said for knowing who you are, what you shine at and how to make money off of it. I find myself in new environments, but whatever I do, my process and my actions have to feel like me. I feel more brave about being myself than ever before. I'm not going to think to myself, "oh people don't want this talent. I'll try to be something else." It's a fine line. You market yourself a certain way, but you never quite act in a way that isn't part of your character. You can never be someone you're not. And that's good, because more importantly, you have to step into work where you feel like yourself, you can be yourself, and that work is going to be the most beautiful. It gets complex knowing what you do and what you do

Impostor Syndrome and the Order of the Snobs

For anyone out there who can relate, I think it needs to be said that it can be very intimidating when a friend, contact or colleague criticizes your choices. It can be difficult enough to make it in a professional industry. Culture shock, impostor syndrome, denying others of their qualifications are all social issues that serve to stand in the way of a young professional and their success. I'm sorry to say that it's almost like elitism at times-- the subtle (or less subtle) ways of the pecking order. We deal with these issues in competitive settings. We have past work that is under our belt called into question, and we have to work to regain that sense of legitimacy. I'm proud to say that I swim in these perilous waters and remain triumphant... and very strong! It was great to get out of my comfort zone after school, and then plunge into my professional degree, with a thick skin. But, since I have dealt with it for years, I feel almost like it'