Skip to main content

Diversity Lip Service

Twice in the last six months, I came across start-up companies that tout diversity as a PR tactic, but avoided paying me like the plague. So, actions speak louder than words. What if a company says they're about diversity, but they lowball their female employees, and try to fabricate a fake company team, using the images of women that they don't pay? This is what happened with Robobev / Infinifill at the start of this year. Or, like Radd3, break their promises to students and say off-record that they don't want to hire any more women, because "what it comes down to is that men have been working with hardware their whole lives." The owner at Radd3 had said he was all about diversity when I first came to the company, and that he wanted to "show the world that women and minorities can also use and work in technology."

Below is an actual slide that was used to promote a team to potential applicants and investors... I designed it myself. Then, the other female sw engineer related to me that she did not actually work there anymore. She and I complained about using our photos on the slide deck, when they had never sent us a paycheck or an employment agreement. They belatedly removed our images, and replaced them with stock photos of women... bizarre!

Can you spot the stock photos in the image?

We can't take people as honest at face value. There's nothing wrong with trying to get ahead, unless of course you're doing things ruthlessly and disrespectfully... and not even thinking about how your actions are illegal. 

There's been a lot of whining lately by rich men about having to use basic respect and decency in their business. Trump's America. But give these folks an inch, and they'll take a mile. More discussion and awareness needs to be raised about these seedy practices. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working for Startups... Supposedly for a Good Cause

I'm caught between two opposing forces. I'm working for a start up company that seems to have brought me back to my blog again. If you're curious this post won't be made public until I leave this place. It seemed to come at the perfect time. I joined a startup company that aims to create a social media network for diverse candidates in all fields. I went out of my way (at least I was paid) to comb through my contacts and get them excited about this platform. I've been here a few weeks, and thought the CEO is a bit "agro," (I figure that is just the way one gets things done. I've been a bit aggressive while driving a product, from the ground up) generally everyone at the company seems very nice and talented. I'm very proud of my team and I realize even more that diversity and inclusion is a prominent field where I can shine. Slowly, starting last week, I begin to dig through old posts. The website used to be a social group kind of thing, that wa...

Vetting or Gatekeeping?

Bay Area Womxn in Games constantly works to include transwomen and has a spectacular board of advisors from a variety of backgrounds. We are open to new leadership. Here's one example of how we have striven to include speakers of all backgrounds, despite the closed-minded tendency of sponsors and other organizations. I'm responsible for the first 2 years of the Bay Area Womxn in Games conference. When we partnered up with Women in Games International (WIGI) we were thrilled to finally meet our goal after 2 years of independent organizing. We were going to meet the organization that started it all, who inspired us to create a local organization in the first place, and they invited us to their board meeting. However, as we attended a few meetings, the conversations became more and more depressing. The people who were elected to be leaders did not know how to lead. After all, you have a team of unpaid volunteers. Let them be motivated to contribute the way that their natural s...